Sighhh

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews

Ok, so many of you warned me about this book before I started reading it. Even though I rated it 2 stars, I'm still going to continue with the series because it's apparently amazing. I'm not going to write a long review here, as so many people have already written about the Kate Daniels series, but I thought I'd put my two cents in.

The first word that comes to mind when I think of Magic Bites is boring . This book has 260 pages. I should have finished it in a few hours, but it took me days because I just couldn't get into it. Because of that, I couldn't remember who half of the characters were in the novel. (view spoiler). The murder mystery didn't hold my attention, and I was very confused about Kate's relationship with the victim (Greg?).

I also didn't find a lot of the characters easy to relate to. Kate, for me, was a stereotypical badass heroine with attitude. While I love a character with some attitude, I found hers to be insufferably annoying. Granted, she became a lot better about three-quarters of the way through the novel. Other than Kate, I didn't feel like I got to know any of the characters: Curran, Crest, Derek, Nataraja (?)- they were all just kind of there.

The plot was boring, the world-building was a little confusing (though this could have been because I had ADD with this novel), and I couldn't wait to finish this book so I could start something else. Ilona Andrews, you're lucky I have so many of your fans on my friend list!