Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

Having lived in Prague for a month or so, I've experienced first-hand the beauty and ambiance of that fantastic city. However, Laini Taylor has blown me away with her vivid and rich descriptions of Prague, which go beyond what I saw and experienced there to make it a fantastical city with portals and angels. Her writing is truly fantastic and beautifully linked...not one word was wasted.

I really enjoyed Karou as a character; she was different from many other heroines in the paranormal genre. Her life is intriguing from the beginning of the story with respects to her family situation and her deep-seated loneliness. But she was also very strong at some points, like when she meets Akiva for the first time and (view spoiler). Brimstone and the rest of her chimera family are also very interesting characters, though only Brimstone has a lot of depth.

Akiva was another story. I don't know what it was about him, but I just didn't love him like I've loved characters like Lord Ido in Eona (I know I'm weird!) and Jericho Barrons in the Fever series. For some reason, I just didn't feel the depth of his character, and seriously, do we need another man who watches girls sleep!? During chapters that were written through his point of view I found myself drifting away, not really caring about his past (no matter how horrible it was) or his goals.

Reincarnation is such an interesting topic, and Laini Taylor does a fantastic job of explaining it through flashbacks. I just loved the way it fit seamlessly into the plot, and also helped weave it together. I really do hope we get more depth in the next novel with regards to the world of the angels and chimera, especially the angels. I can't wait to see what Karou decides to do next!